Hallett Cove School Curriculum
The curriculum at Hallett Cove School is aligned with both the state and national expectations for all schools through the Australian Curriculum (2014) and the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE). The South Australian Teaching for Effective Learning Framework (TfEL, 2010) supports the implementation of the curriculum through a focus on pedagogy in the design of learning and teaching programs responsive to the needs of all learners. The National Professional Standards for Teachers (AITSL, 2011) provides a framework about the quality of the teaching at Hallett Cove School, and whilst in keeping with the Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration (2019), the school supports the vision of "a world class education system that encourages and supports every student to be the very best they can be, no matter where they live or what kind of learning challenges they may face".
Subject selection at the secondary level is very important in shaping future pathways and links between school, further study and the world of work. The following information has been prepared to assist students and caregivers in considering the range of subject offerings available to students at Hallett Cove School. The SACE requires students in Year's 11 and 12 to select from a different subject framework when compared to Year 7-10 and has the compulsory requirements of literacy, numeracy and Research Project at Year 11. The Personal Learning Plan (PLP) is a compulsory subject which is completed at Year 10. Also, students at Year 10 level will complete Research Practices in preparation for the Research Project in Year 11.
The 'new look' 2021 curriculum course handbook (see below) describes the subjects in Years 7–12 at Hallett Cove School and includes some new offerings. Also this year, there are videos hyperlinked to each subject which enables caregivers and students the opportunity to learn about each subject's content. Within the handbook, students will find a subject description which describes assumed knowledge, curriculum charges, assessment types etc. Located in the Curriculum dropdown menu is a tab called 'Curriculum Offerings' which lists year levels, and within that students and caregivers can locate subject videos specific for that year level, as well as an introductory year level video.
For students and caregivers who need:
- more information about the SACE, Vocational Education and Training (VET) or the required subjects for each Year level, please download and view the PDF document number 1
- to choose subjects for 2021, please download PDF document number 2
- more information about SATAC (Tertiary entry), please download PDF document number 3
- to see the flow of subjects from Year 7 to Year 12 (Stage 2), please download PDF document number 4
1. Please view the SACE, subject selection and VET Information for Year10-12 Students and Caregivers:
2. Please click below to download the Hallett Cove School Curriculum Handbook 2022
3. Please click below for SATAC Information 2022 for Tertiary Entrance
4. Please click below for the 'flow of subjects' document
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do the A and B after subjects mean?
Option A is for students who want to study a subject for one semester only. Students are encouraged to select both A and B options if they want to study the subject for the full year.
Is VET available in Year 10?
No, unfortunately not anymore. Students need to be 16 and in year 11.