Vocational education and training (VET) enables students to acquire skills and knowledge for work through a nationally recognised industry-developed training package or accredited course. VET is delivered, assessed, and certified by registered training organisations (RTOs).
Undertaking VET may benefit students’ exploration of a variety of career pathways; it is not just reserved for a pathway within the trades (e.g. plumbing, automotive, and construction). Students can complete VET qualifications in a diverse range of industries, including business administration, veterinary nursing, aged care, or sport and recreation.
VET is an excellent choice of study for many students. It always includes practical, hands-on learning, and it can lead to excellent jobs in many fields. Studying VET as part of the SACE gives students a head start on a qualification, which is a great way to fast-track progress towards a rewarding career, while also developing independence and time-management skills.
VET at Hallett Cove School
HCS is part of the Southern Adelaide and Fleurieu Trade School (SAFTS) consortium of schools that provides access to a range of vocational courses across the region. These include Industry Skills Programs hosted by local schools working with the local community and industry. Details of SAFTS courses are at www.safts.edu.au.
HCS’s VET Programmes:
- Provide Structured Workplace Learning that is an integral part of the VET courses where student demonstrate skills learned on the job in the workplace.
- Work collaboratively with private Registered Training Organisations, the Apprenticeship Broker, SAFTS and industry associations to meet the needs of the students.
- Ensure VET programs are accredited as part of the SACE.
- Link students with flexible learning programs where needed.
- Support students through the Training Guarantee for SACE Students (TGSS) counselling and application process.
- Incorporate career development skills, knowledge and understandings in the Pastoral Care Program, Personal Learning Plan and subjects across the curriculum.
- Teach core skills for learning and work (literacy, numeracy and employability skills).
Vocational Education is constantly being reviewed and expanded to meet the needs of students at Hallett Cove School.
Useful website links:
Southern Adelaide and Fleurieu Trade School (SAFTS)
Southern Adelaide and Fleurieu Trade School (SAFTS) WebVet