middle schoolYear 8 Overview
At Year 8, we recognise that students have transitioned to Middle School life, and are enjoying the experiences of becoming young self-guided learners. Students begin to have more choice in their learning curriculum, whilst still allowing for the opportunity to try a range of different learning areas to guide future subject choices.
YEAR 8 IN THE MIDDLE SCHOOL AT HALLETT COVE SCHOOL MEANS THAT:
- Home Groups are based around the information shared from Year 7 teachers and Middle School leaders at Hallett Cove School.
- Each class has a dedicated Home Group classroom which they use for most of their subjects, including the Pastoral Care program. Students develop a class identity and ownership of their Home Group room.
- The Home Groups stay together for English, Humanities, Mathematics and Science. Where possible, a small team of teachers with expertise in Middle Schooling work with each Home Group class for their core subjects.
- All Middle School students have access to a chrome book device, current software and a wireless network. Middle School teachers focus on the use of technology developing curriculum which is challenging and relevant.
- The Pastoral Care Program delivers the mandated Child Protection Curriculum, subject pathway investigations, along with other valuable life skills.
- An Assistant Principal (as part of the Middle School Leadership team) is responsible for the management of Year 8 students, teachers and curriculum. Parent or student issues and concerns should be referred to the Home Group teacher or Well Being staff in the first instance, followed by the Assistant Principal or Head of School.
AT YEAR 8 STUDENTS HAVE THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS:
- English – full year
- Mathematics – full year
- Humanities – full year
- Science – full year
- Health & PE / Specialist Sports Program (Volleyball or Soccer) – full year
- Material & Digital Technologies – compulsory one term
- Creative Arts – compulsory one term
- Languages – compulsory one semester
- The Arts (Dance, Drama, Visual Art, Music) – elective one semester
- Technologies (Digital Futures, Material Technologies) – elective one semester
- Home Economics (Food & Hospitality, Textiles) – elective one semester
An intoduction to Middle School
Year 8 Subject Options
An overview of our year 8 subject structure
Information on all subjects 7-12