middle schoolYear 7 Overview
Students entering Year 7 at Hallett Cove School embark on their first year in their High School journey. Year 7 is comprised of students who have attended Junior School at Hallett Cove School, in addition to those who have transitioned from other Primary Schools. We offer a unique curriculum which enables students the opportunities to experiences a range of different subjects offerings, along with guidance for students to develop effective relationships with peers and teachers.
YEAR 7 IN THE MIDDLE SCHOOL AT HALLETT COVE SCHOOL MEANS THAT:
- Home Groups are based around the information shared from previous schools, Year 6 teachers, parents, and Junior School leaders at Hallett Cove School.
- Each class has a dedicated Home Group classroom which they use for most of their subjects, including the Pastoral Care program. Students develop a class identity and ownership of their Home Group room.
- The Home Groups stay together for English, Humanities, Mathematics and Science. Where possible, a small team of teachers with expertise in Middle Schooling work with each Home Group class for their core subjects.
- All Middle School students have access to a chrome book device, current software and a wireless network. Middle School teachers focus on the use of technology developing curriculum which is challenging and relevant.
- The Pastoral Care Program delivers the mandated Child Protection Curriculum, subject pathway investigations, along with other valuable life skills.
- A Core Skills curriculum is delivered to students to help equip students with the study skills to strengthen academic success throughout their High School Journey.
- An Assistant Principal (as part of the Middle School Leadership team) is responsible for the management of Year 7 students, teachers and curriculum. Parent or student issues and concerns should be referred to the Home Group teacher or Well Being staff in the first instance, followed by the Assistant Principal or Head of School.
AT YEAR 7 STUDENTS HAVE THE FOLLOWING SUBJECTS:
- English – full year
- Mathematics – full year
- Humanities (History and Geography) – full year
- Science – full year
- Health & PE / Specialist Sports Program (Volleyball or Soccer) – full year
- Core Skills – compulsory one semester
- Languages – compulsory one semester
- Material & Digital Technologies – compulsory one term
- The Arts (Dance, Visual Art & Design/Drama, Music) – one semester compulsory option
- Textiles –compulsory one term
IN YEAR 7 STUDENTS TAKE PART IN A RANGE OF ACTIVITIES INCLUDING:
- Year 7 Transition Camp
- Aquatics Day
- Additional Transition Experiences
An introduction to Middle School
Year 7 Subject Options
An overview of our year 7 subject structure
Information on all subjects 7-12