Volleyball Focus Program
The Volleyball Focus Programme at Hallett Cove School aims to provide opportunities for students:
- Volleyball Focus Classes (Boys & Girls classes in Years 8, 9 & 10)
- Over 200 Years 4-12 students playing in beach competitions at Glenelg beach in Terms 1 and 4
- Boys & girls from Years 8-12 playing in Junior League representing South Adelaide Panthers Volleyball Club
- Six teams in the SSSSA State-wide ‘knockout’ competitions
- Teams entered in South Australian Volleyball Schools Cup (currently ranked 3rd in the State)
- Teams competing in the Australian Volleyball Schools Cup – (currently ranked 12th nationally)
- Students (past and present) in State & National Volleyball Teams
Students representing Hallett Cove School via the program are great ambassadors for our school and the community. Students are renowned for their purposeful approach and positive behaviours – expectations that reflect the positive culture of this program. Coaching and managing experiences are coveted by ex-students who willingly volunteer to give something back to the program.
While goals of individual and team development are core expectations, the opportunity to represent their school formally, ensuing sense of belonging/enhanced teacher-student relationships and community/parental engagement and contribution are also extremely positive values that this program provides.
Eligible Year 7 students are invited to trial for a place in the 2018 Volleyball Focus Program. The application form and trial information can be found in the Yr8 Transition Pack, distributed early in Term 3, and on the website. Trials will be conducted towards the end of Term 3 at Hallett Cove School and all applicants, successful or not are notified by mail.
Selection into the Volleyball Focus program will be based on:
- Physical attributes and specific criteria
- Sporting background and ability (students without volleyball experience will not be disadvantaged)
- Current teacher feedback about cooperation, behaviour, attitude and ability to work in groups
Volleyball Focus Program - A Brief History
During years 2000 – 2003 a committed group of senior students initiated the transformation of Volleyball at HCS. Their efforts and enthusiasm saw a progression from a novice skill base to a level of competency that was competitive with the best schools in South Australia. As a result of generating interest in Volleyball, Hallett Cove School introduced it into the school curriculum as a Subject for Years 9-11 for the first time in 2006 (three classes). Consequently, a more stringent selection process for 2007 Volleyball Focus Classes was introduced. Selection was based on a number of skill level and fitness criteria in a series of trials. Two more classes (Year 8) were added to the Volleyball Focus program for 2008. Currently, a Volleyball class is offered in Year 11 as well as boys and girls classes in Years 8, 9 and 10. Hallett Cove School participates in the Australian Volleyball Schools Cup (AVSC) conducted each year in Melbourne in December. HCS started with 1 team in 2001-2002, 2 teams in 2004, 3 in 2005, 4 in 2006-2007, 5 in 2008-2009, 6 teams in 2010-2011, 7 teams in 2012-15 and 9 teams in 2016. Hallett Cove is currently ranked 12th nationally.
For further information contact Sandy Roach (R-12 SSO Sports Coordinator) on 83921020. Alternatively email Sandy Roach on email@example.com.
Volleyball Australia – www.volleyballaustralia.org.au
Volleyball SA – www.volleyballsa.com.au
SAVC – www.savcpanthers.com