Year 10 Overview
At Hallett Cove School we recognise that Year 10 is a year of transition for students as they move from the Middle Years into the Senior School. With this in mind our curriculum has been designed to ensure that students study a ‘core’ range of subjects intended to support them in developing the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to make appropriate future subject and career choices as defined by the Australian Curriculum. In addition students have greater flexibility in choosing ‘elective’ subjects that enable them to personalise their learning experience at Hallett Cove School.
At Year 10 students study the following core subjects:
- Mathematics – full year
- English – full year
- Science – full year
- Humanities and Social Sciences – full year
- Personal Learning Plan (PLP) – compulsory SACE subject
- Physical Education (core) – one semester
- Special Interest Volleyball – full year (option)
- Special Interest Soccer – full year (option)
Year 10 students are also able to choose three elective subjects from the list below:
- Home Economics
- Technical Studies
- Art/Performing Art
- Physical Education (elective)
During Year 10 students take part in a range of activities including:
- Work Experience
- Ski Trip
- Round Table Presentations
- Pastoral Care Activities – based on life and career planning, organisational and time management skills, citizenship activities.
Year 10 Ski Trip
The Hallett Cove Year 10 Snow Trip has been a long standing, much loved and keenly anticipated school camp. Each year we spend a week staying in Mount Hotham learning the skills of skiing or boarding and experiencing life in the Australian Alps.
While this trip is regularly referred to by students as ‘the best week of their school life’, it is not for everyone.
- A high level of fitness, coordination and resilience is needed to get the most enjoyment out of the week.
- Students attending must have shown an ability to act responsibly and respectfully in a range of school environments.
- Students must attend a series of organisational and information meetings.
- Families must meet payment deadlines. Currently the total cost is approximately $1300.
We commence organisation for each trip in Term 4 of the proceeding year, so Year 9’s need to be attentive to preliminary meetings.
Hallett Cove Career Expo
Each year Hallett Cove School organises a Career Expo which is held in our school gymnasium. The purpose of the Career Expo is to provide students and parents with the opportunity to gain first-hand current information about a wide range of career pathways and associated courses and study options. The timing of the Career Expo coincides with the school’s Course Counselling and Subject Selection process. We believe that participation in the Career Expo strengthen students’ understanding and confidence in selecting a career pathway that supports their future career goals.
Participants in our Career Expo include:
- University of Adelaide
- Flinders University
- University of South Australia
- TAFE SA
- SA Police
- Australian Defence Force
- Motor Trade Association
- Master Plumbers Association
- Tourism Association
- Southern Adelaide and Fleurieu Trade School (SAFTS)
- Trade Schools for the Future
The Personal Learning Plan
Personal Learning Plan (PLP) is a compulsory 10 credit SACE subject undertaken at Hallett Cove School by all year 10 students in semester 2. Students must obtain a C grade or better to complete their SACE requirements
The PLP helps students to:
- Plan their personal and learning goals for the future through short and long term goals. Make informed decisions about their personal development, future education and training.
- Investigate the Capabilities of Literacy, Numeracy, Information and Communication Technology, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social, Ethical Understanding and Intercultural Understanding.
- Further develop the Capabilities though investigating the WHS requirements of work, VIQ career option quiz, future subject selection for SACE, long term and short term goal setting, plus gaining an insight into a chosen career field through interviews and investigations.
- Reflect on their learning through a round table presentation to family, a staff member and an invited person from the community.